Your membership must be in an active status in order to vote. Trustee Elections are currently underway, and in December, ballots for amendments to the Rules and Bylaws will be delivered to adult memberships who are in an active status.
Active membership status is defined as:
- An adult membership whose ASF is current and
- One or more animals have been registered or transferred involving this membership.
Frequently throughout the year including early September – adult memberships are reviewed to see if any activity (animal registrations and/or transfers) have occurred within the last two years. If no activity within the past two years, the membership accounts will be placed in inactive status. This membership will automatically return to active status as soon as an animal is registered and/or a certificate transferred (and the ASF for the fiscal year is current). Notifications are sent when memberships are placed in an inactive status when no activity has occurred within the past two years.
Trustee Elections are a three-step process.
Step 1: Board Nominations. Members submit applications to be considered for board recommendation (nomination) to run for the open trustee positions. One recommendation (nomination) for each open trustee position. This step completed in August.
Step 2: Membership Nomination (Write-in) Ballots. The Board Nominations are announced and a Nomination Ballot is sent to all adult, active members. This gives members the opportunity to write-in (nominate) a member who they feel will best represent their region and the Association. Two points of consideration:
- If you agree with the board’s nomination(s) – nothing further is needed or
- Write-in a member’s name, city, and state who you support to run for the open position(s) within your region and return the ballot before the deadline to the Chairman of the Tellers (addressed envelope provided).
Important: Consider voting electronically – fast and easy to do, plus you receive verification that your ballot was received. Instructions to vote electronically are on your paper ballot. No worries about postal mail delivery.
Nomination Ballots were mailed the week of September 16, 2019.
October 23, 2019 – pay your ASF before October 23. On October 23 any member who has not paid their ASF will be placed in an inactive status. If this occurs, you will not be eligible to participate in the final step of the Trustee election. In addition, you will be charged a $50 reactivation fee when you do pay your ASF. Avoid both situations – pay your ASF before October 23.
Step 3: Trustee Election Ballot. Around November 19 Trustee Election Ballots will be mailed to active, adult members. This is the ballot where members elect Trustees for the open 2020 seats. This ballot will have the board nominations (same as on the write-in ballot) plus any write-in nominations who have qualified. If no write-in nominations qualify, the board nominee is selected by acclamation.
- Receives at least 10 write-in nominations.
- In the event more than one person receives 10 or more votes, the individual receiving the highest vote count is the write-in candidate.
- Must be an active, adult member in good standing.
- Primary residence must be located within the geographical area from which the member seeks the nomination.
- Must be willing to commit and service a 3-year term.
- No more than 2 members from any state can serve on the Board concurrently.
- There can be no more write-in candidates listed on the ballot than there are open seats (vacancies) to be filled.
Stay involved and participate to elect members to the ASA Board of Trustees. Contact staff if you need assistance, we are happy to step you through the online voting process.